Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Weigh In Wednesday

1 1/2 pounds. 

I'm not going to drag the anticipation (that I know everyone is feeling) out this week, because I'm feeling a little discouraged about my weight loss.  I know 1 1/2 pounds is good and that I shouldn't expect to lose 5 pounds every single week...but still.  I have a lot of baby weight left and I feel like it should be a whole lot easier for those pounds to come off.  I'm starting to feel like these results aren't worth the suffering I'm doing during the week....counting the calories, watching the carb intake, not drinking soda, no delicious sweets, stressing out about getting in a work out while Ryleigh naps, but before I have to go to work.  It's a lot to worry about for only 1 1/2 pounds, ya know? 

Ryleigh helping Mommy plan this weeks menu


But don't fret...I'm not throwing in the towel.  I assume the lack of fattening foods is getting to me in week 3 and I need to focus on the positive.  Like, the fact that I've lost 7 1/2 pounds in 3 weeks, and the fact that I'm only 7 pounds away from where I was when I got pregnant (which is still 14 pounds away from what I normally weigh, but I'm moving in the right direction!). 

So I decided to try something different these next 2 weeks.  I was reading about The Supermarket Diet in Good Housekeeping.  It focuses on eating a balanced menu that is low in calories, high in fiber, and moderate in carbs, fats, and protein.  I found a supplement magazine devoted to this diet and it has a 2 week "Boot Camp" menu all planned out already where each day is 1,200 calories.  The link above has all the same information as my magazine, menus and all, in case anyone is interested in looking at it.  So we'll see how this one works out...wish me luck!

Some of my favorite recipes from this week...along with pictures this time : ) 

Tomato-Tortilla Soup
makes 4 servings

This soup is pretty spicy...it made my nose run.  I pureed mine down so there was barely any chunks, just because I'm a texture person, and we didn't use any cilantro...but I really enjoyed it.  And paired with a taco salad (the one I made was 332 calories), it's a great and filling dinner.  Ole!

Two 6-inch corn tortillas
2 tbsp. canola oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
Two 14.5 oz. cans no-salt added diced tomatoes, with juices
1 small jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
3/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro

Preheat the oven to 375.  Brush both sided of each tortilla with oil, using all by 2 tsp. of the oil.  Cut the tortillas in half, then cut each half into 1/4 inch wide strips.  Arrange the strips on a baking sheet, sprinkle with the salt, and bake until crisp and golden, about 12 minutes.  Remove from oven and set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 tsp. oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 mintues, then add the garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and translucent, about another 3 minutes.  Add the broth, tomatoes, jalapeno, and oregano, brint to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Stir in the lime juice.
Remove the pan from the heat and puree with an immersion blender until the soup lightens in color but chunks of tomato remain, about 30 seconds.  Serve the soup topped with the torilla strips, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of cilantro.

per serving (2 cups): 220 calories, 11g Fat, 2g Sat Fat, 8mg Chol, 296mg Sod, 22g Carb, 3g Fib, 8g Prot
recipe from Ellie Krieger



Fettuccine with Red Pepper Sauce
makes 6 servings

This was my one "carb filled" meal I allowed myself for the week...and it just might have been my downfall, since I had to add it to other days in order to get rid of the leftovers.  Plus the hubby wasn't really a fan, so he didn't help with those leftovers either.  The sauce wasn't that creamy, but I only had about 3/4 a jar of roasted red peppers instead of the full jar, so that might be the culprit.  But I liked it, and would make it again.  It's a nice alternative to spaghetti sauce.   

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
One 16 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed, and chopped
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
One 16 oz. box whole wheat fettucine
salt and ground black pepper
2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the roasted red peppers and cook, stirring a few times, until heated through.  Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Transfer the red pepper mixture to a food processor, add the broth and all but 2 tbsp. of the feta.  Process until combined and smooth.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.  Toss the pasta with the sauce, adding the pasta water by the tablespoon if needed.  The sauce should cling nicely to the pasta.  Season with the salt and pepper.  Sprinkle with the parsely and reserved feta and serve.

per serving (1 1/4 cups): 445 calories, 11g Fat, 4.5g Sat Fat, 22mg Chol, 810mg Sod, 70g Carb, 10g Fib, 17g Prot
recipe from Ellie Krieger




Cream of Broccoli Soup
makes 4 servings

Now, other than the fact that this soup looks like baby food, it tastes really good and is a great alternative to the "real deal".  I paired mine with a grilled ham, muenster and spinach sandwich (315 calories) to make it a full meal.

1 1/2 tbsp. canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1/2 celery stalk, chopped
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 lbs. broccoli florets
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup fat-free milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil.  Add the onion, carrot, celery, and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are softened, about 5 mintues.  Add the broccoli and broth.  Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender, 25 minutes.  Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.  Let cool 10 mintues.
Transfer to a food processor and puree.  Return the soup to the saucepan over medium heat.  Add the milk, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, 4-5 mintues.

per serving (about 1 1/2 cups): 127 calories, 6g Fat, 1g Sat Fat, 1mg Chol, 14g Sod, 14g Carb, 5g Fib, 7g Prot
recipe from Weight Watchers




3 comments:

  1. You are very creative with your meal planning and I love how Ryleigh is looking at the computer as if she is very interested. Keep it up...you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is interested...she's the one who tells me what to cook, duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work! Don't get discouraged, that won't help :) in fact, it may hurt. I wish I had your creativity and motivation to do all that meal planning and yummy meals. And be a mommy and work. You're doing awesome!!
    P.S. Love little Miss in her Bumbo - such a big girl!

    ReplyDelete